Volunteers will receive one raffle ticket for the volunteers only door prize drawing for each shift worked.
Did you attend Oregon Star Party in previous years? Did you enjoy yourself? Please support your favorite star party with a few easy 2-hour shifts. Your efforts will help make sure things run smoothly!
Oregon Star Party is run exclusively by volunteers, without whom OSP wouldn’t be the fun event it is each year. Our volunteers are very important to us, and we appreciate all the work they do each year.
How to volunteer
- Click on the link to the volunteer sign-up page below.
- Browse the available positions and time slots scheduled during the week of OSP.
- Select the positions and shifts you’d like to work (most are 2 hours), enter your name and email address.
- A confirmation notification will be sent to you.
Volunteer Sign-up Page
Please contact the OSP Volunteer Coordinator with any questions.
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Trailer Loading & Registration Packet Collating
Generally One Week Before OSP
- Work with committee members loading the trailer, collating registration packets, organizing t-shirts, testing radios, and other important tasks.
- Many hands make light work – the more people the better.
- After the work is done, join us for pizza!
Activities Tent Tech on call
- Assist Activities Tent team members as needed with set up, clean up, errands, and other tasks.
- Assist Speakers with microphones and sound equipment
- Expertise with sound equipment and computers is required.
Information Tent Assistant
- Answer questions about OSP activities, lost & found, OSP message board.
- Check-in the volunteers at the beginning of shifts, and then check-out at the end of their shift.
- Answer questions or advise how to get answers regarding youth activities, adult and youth mentoring, observing lists, and first aid from the appropriate committee member.
- Manage crowd control in Info Tent, encourage people to take casual conversation outside of the tent.
- Keep cooler full of water bottles for volunteers filled.
- Flexible person available to meet the ad hoc needs of the moment.
- Stationed in the Info Tent and reports to the Info Tent committee member in charge.
- Fill-in for open volunteer positions as requested by committee member in charge.
- Be prepared to work, but if everything is running smoothly you’ll sit in the Info tent and shoot the breeze.
Registration Tent Assistant
- Assist with checking in and registering new arrivals.
- Greet attendees and answer questions as needed.
- Registration Tent committee member in charge will assign volunteers to specific registration tent positions of T-shirt Puller, Packet Puller, and Registration Check-in.
OSP Apparel Sales Assistant – (Saturday, reg tent)
- Assist Registration Tent coordinator with sale of apparel on Saturday morning.
- Set out apparel, help with individual sales, monitor line-up of customers.
Entry Gate Greeter
- Greet guests at stop sign at entranced to the site.
- Reviews 5 mph speed limit information with visitors.
- Reviews parking instructions and camping guidelines with visitors.
- Coordinate arrival information with Registration Tent.
- Offer copies of site map to arrivals, for initial campsite selection.
- Resolve initial arrival/camping issues with diplomacy, tact, and a good understanding of the workings of OSP.
Entry Gate Greeter Assistant
- Assist Gate Entry Greeter with managing gate traffic.
Greeter, stationed at the 800 & 802 Junction
- Of primary importance is to minimize traffic and speed.
- Stop every vehicle going in and out on the 802 road.
- Advise new arrivals stop at the Registration Tent to check in.
- Provide camping and parking guidelines and directions, especially for drivers of RV’s, trailers, and conversions.
- Remind drivers of 5 mph speed limit. Offer copies of site map.
- Assist photographer with crowd control before and during Saturday afternoon’s group photo.
Shower Truck Ticket Collector
- Collect shower tickets at shower truck.
- Remind people of shower truck rules (available on checklist).
- Direct people to Information and Registration Tents to purchase tickets.
- Shifts are available from early morning to evening, Wednesday through Saturday.
- Collect ice tickets at the Ice trailer.
- Remove bags of ice from trailer.
- This is the coolest job at OSP!
- On Monday, prior to the start of Oregon Star Party, help with greeting early arrivals, sign placement, setting up of tent interiors, and other task as directed.
- There are shifts in the morning and in the afternoon.
- The more volunteers we have , the faster the work gets done.
- On Sunday morning, take down signs, and pack up tent interiors.
- Help load the OSP trailer.
- Walk the OSP site and collect litter.
- Other tasks as needed.
Swap meet setup/teardown
- Work with committee member in charge – arrange tables & chairs for the swap meet.
- Assist in enforcing the “No sales before 11:00” rule. (Personal protective equipment provided – lol)
Youth/Adult Telescope Mentor
- evening after dark: work with youth and adults at Telescope Park.
- Show guests how to find objects to observe and how to use a Dobsonian telescope.
- Friendliness, and a good basic knowledge of the night sky and how to use a Dob are required.