The Sun Has Set on Another Oregon Star Party
Many thanks to everyone - committee members, volunteers and attendees - who helped make Oregon
Star Party 2015 a success. Everyone’s contributions helped make the star party fun, safe and memorable.
There were many highlights, including:
- A variety of weather conditions for viewing. Happily, we had mostly clear skies throughout the entire event. This year, there were large nearby wildfires, with smoke and hazy conditions.
- The Perseid and Delta Aquarids Meteor Showers were simply spectacular.
- The grand finale of the week included a beautiful display of the northern lights.
- There were approximately 660 attendees this year.
- Many thanks to all the 50+ volunteers whose hard work during the star party allowed everything to run smoothly. New for the volunteers this year who worked a minimum of one, 2-hour shift was an OSP Volunteer shirt.
- Four and Twenty Blackbirds, our food service provider, received many compliments for their meals and good customer service. As always, Shawna’s Espresso Blast was a welcome sight, especially her smoothies!
- The speakers were popular and well received.
- Each evening’s Night Telescope Walkabout was completely full and well received. During Mel Bartel’s afternoon Telescope Walkabout, people saw some amazing telescope designs.
- Dave Powell’s nightly star talk was well-received yet again this year.
- A special thank you to the vendors and donors; they are certainly an integral part of the star party and they’re much appreciated.
- We saw old friends and developed new friendships.
Cheers! Jim Todd & Tony Hill, OSP co-directors